Technicolor Day

Tuesday, June 14

More on the work theory

When we have a creative vision (or when we acknowledge we have a creative vision), and are somewhat of an adult (read: no longer in school), I feel we have two choices: we try to make a living solely from our creative vision (the 'follow your bliss' theory) or we work some other job for pay, and follow our creative vision in our free time (the 'hobbyist' theory).
I have seen both work, and seen myself in both.
I long sometimes for actually following my bliss, I could have lived in a van or bus and sold my artwork wherever/anywhere. I was taught beadwork by those who do. I know I could have done that too. But I have always found that I am uncomfortable being not stable, without foundation. And I'm not saying that following your bliss means living in a van. I am in awe of the stories I read of those who are able to make the connection to do what they love, and make a living at it, with little personal hardship.
I find myself more in the hobbyist catagory, doing the j.o.b. to support the art. My uncle, who was and is one of my absolute greatest artistic inspirations, lived that life, and successfully. He worked many different jobs, including cab driver and temping, not jobs that were careers like others in the family. But I learned from him that it wasn't the job that was important. When he died so unexpectedly, eight years ago this summer, and the minister who didn't even know him asked family members what they remembered about him, that was what I offered. That he didn't let his job get the better of him. He worked a decent job to be able to have the freedom to pursue his artistic endeavors as he pleased. And I will add here, though I didn't tell the minister this: he also had the freedom and time to pursue his spiritual creativity. And of course, the two are tied together for me.
So when I sometimes get conflicted about my own work theory, I remember that it can be good life. My uncle had a very good life, though no one would call him rich, or say he had excelled in climbing any career ladders. He always had projects he was working on. He was the most amazing painter, and creative pencil artist I've ever seen the work of.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home