Technicolor Day

Sunday, June 12

Oh, and about the hat... (or Creativity and Disapointment)

Nothing like working on a project for years (literally) only to have it not be what you wanted. Not quite what you wanted. I'm in the mode of finishing things. We'll start there. No, let's go back maybe 7 years. I had no sewing machine, well, strike that, I had a sewing machine that had been damaged by costume making back in college (how many pairs of burlap shoes did I make for that play anyway?), and of course, I still hung onto it with the hope of getting it actually fixed one day. But I had no working sewing machine. So I started this hat out by hand. I also didn't have a lot of extra money to go purchase material, so I started out by taking apart some other item of clothing, can't remember now if it was a skirt or a shirt, but someone gave it to me, and it didn't fit, but the pattern was fun, so I used that material for the hat. At some point in the process, the hat got put on the back burner. Probably one of the times we moved it got shoved in a box and not found again until a couple moves later. Getting a better job, and home stress probably also contributed to the not finishing of said hat. So now back to the future, to now, and I'm in the mode of finishing things. Finish or fling, that's my motto lately. I've been anxious to get out the hat for a few months, after all, it is a spring/summer kind of hat, so no need to finish it last fall I figured. The last couple steps were only going to take a part of an afternoon, but I had to have the time to get the sewing machine out, since I don't have a arts-n-crafts area in the house right now. So yesterday was the perfect time. And now the hat is finished. And doesn't quite fit perfectly around. And the brim is too big. And the top is too tall. And I'm NOT going to rip all the seams out and re-do it! I may take out one seam if I think I can make it fit around better. I may just give it to a young friend who may enjoy it for dress-up. Yeah, that's a good idea, I'll just give it to my friend, she'll probably like it, and I won't have to face frustration every time I tried to wear it myself.
I should likely take pictures of this silly hat as well. Check out my flikr later to see if the hat pix are ready...

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home