Technicolor Day

Tuesday, November 2

What a day.

Yes, I voted. I know third party votes take votes away from the main two parties, but I did vote green. Locally only. Because I know him, he's a nice guy. 3% ain't that bad for green in Nebraska. Everything is still too close to call, but my kids went to bed upset that the news maps were a little too red for their tastes. But I'm glad they are interested in politics, I barely knew who Richard Nixon was when he was president, until there was some worry about some tapes.
And I haven't written a word on the NNwM today. For one, I found out yesterday that my kids will be gone all afternoon/early evening Sunday, so I plan to really use that time to write. But also, I'm feeling like it's only the second day, and I hate my novel.
I told my older son that I like my idea, and I'm still excited about writing the story, I'm just not liking the starting. In his often-zen-like-wisdom he told me "don't start." Good point. Maybe I should just jump into the middle, but something is telling me I am supposed to write from beginning to end.
Anyway, I don't feel very creative right now, just reactive.

2 comment(s):

Your son's idea is a good one if you know what your basic story is. It can be difficult to move the opening scenes to the middle. I just happened upon your blog (I'm 60K+ words into my first novel, so it didn't seem right to join the event so far into my own work), and I haven't read your earlier posts. One thing that helped me was to think of it like training for a marathon: you can't run every day, but you can always work toward the run. In other words, set certain days for reading your novel's progress and to edit it. But even if you don't feel creative, use the time that you set for writing to write. And when you're not writing and your mind is allowed to wander, get to know your characters even better than you already do.

By Blogger Matt Sinclair, at 3:17 PM  

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks so much for the encouraging words!

By Blogger Unknown, at 10:32 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home