Technicolor Day

Thursday, December 18

Projects Update
Inspired by ikastikos, her own art, and her collected links, I've been thinking about trash art lately.
A while back I picked up (very cheap) this craft pattern (REALLY cheap, like it was almost more expensive to not buy it) when I bought a few other patterns. (I guess I'm justifying it because it's not something I normally would have bought)
These bottle spinners were made by using an electric wood burning tool to burn designs in the soda bottles. I borrowed my dad's old wood burning thing (old as in he probably had it when he was a kid!) and tried it, but the newer bottles don't work as well, now that we use plastic labels that are glued on. So I put the wood burning thing away, and forgot about it.
Until, recently, along with thinking about trash art, I remembered burning through the plastic so easily with the wood burning thingy, and got a new inspiration:
I'd burn out designs in colored shampoo/lotion/whatever bottles, and put those cut-outs together to make something.
First idea, a bunch of flowers, as I have tons of great colored wire. (Still love the electrician dude who came to my old job and replaced some wiring above my cubey and let me take home the extra wire!!)
So last night, I got out the empty shampoo bottle and the wood burner thing, and did NOT create something wonderful, just a headache. I wasn't thinking about how much thicker the shampoo bottle plastic is. (it IS a 'recycle 2' as opposed to the soda bottle's 'recycle 1') It just didn't cut well, and stunk to high heaven, so won't be doing that one again.
But still thinking of how to easily cut the heavier plastic...

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home