Technicolor Day

Sunday, June 27

Memories and Peach Cobbler

Talking with cousins this weekend at our Grandmother's funeral, it was interesting to hear what we each remembered. A lot of our memories were very similar, but it's always amazing to me to see what different perspectives we have on events, and what specific things are important enough to us to store in our memory banks.
Like my cousins didn't remember that I had sat on a nail during a rousing game of follow-the-leader through the goat pen. I however, remembered it very well, probably due to the resulting tetanus shot. On the other hand, one cousin was scared of bats flying into her hair for years, because I had told her once that they would, which I don't remember at all. (I'm sure I really believed it, too, didn't we all learn that old wive's tale when we were growing up?)
We also talked about how events can build in our memories, things can grow into tall tales without us even realizing it. These cousins raised goats, mostly for milk, but I remember so well the barbecue pit that was dug to roast a kid, and the wonderful picnic we had that year. I thought this was an annual event at their house, only I hadn't been there every year, but my Aunt let me know that they hadn't done that more than twice ever, and the time I remember was a special occasion when cousins from the west coast were visiting.
So we talked about how much that one event meant to me as a child, so much that I built it into much more than it was. That made us think of the memories we're giving to our children, and we reminded ourselves that good memories can be made even from one little event.
The last few weeks I've been hungry for a childhood recipe, and I made it for my kids last night. I don't remember how often we made it when I was a kid, it could have only been once, but it brings back good memories. And my kids loved it, and hopefully will have good memories associated with it.
And in case you'd like to share my memories, or if you're just looking for a simple desert to make, here it is:

E-Z PEACH COBBLER
from mom's church cookbook

1 2lb can peaches with juice
1 butter brickle cake mix (I don't think they make that kind anymore, works just as well with yellow cake mix)
1 c margarine or butter
1/4 c water
Pour peaches and juice into 9x13 pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix over peaches. Drizzle melted butter and water over cake mix. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or until bubbly and slightly browned. Let cool for 10 minutes or so before serving.

2 comment(s):

your grandma died last weeek too? creepy.

By Blogger Farmer Joe, at 7:40 PM  

Sorry to hear you lost your grandma too, FJ. I hope you have good memories of her.

By Blogger Unknown, at 7:16 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home