Technicolor Day

Thursday, December 4

Fashions that kill
or at least make you sick

There are so many differences between elementary school and middle school, and since I've got one in each this year, I get to see the differences every day.
One of the biggest, I think is how they dress. In grade school, there's no 'punk' or 'goth' fashions, or very little. K wore safety pins on his shirt yesterday and no one even noticed. So he just told me he'll wait to start dressing punk until middle school.
In grade school, it's still mostly mom's call on outerwear, too. I'm pretty lenient about letting them make their own decisions about what to wear, but I still make them take a jacket. My rule of thumb is from October to March, always carry a jacket, you never know when the weather will change.
Driving Z to school this morning, I see two girls walking to school, with light jackets and their hair pulled up on top of their heads. My ears were safely hiding under my hair, and riding in a car, but they still shivered and wished I'd worn a hat when they saw those poor, cold, baby ears.
Do we get less tolerant of pain as we get older? Do they not feel the wind whipping through their ear canals? Their ear drums are beating SOS loud enough for a mother to hear. If they were in elementary school still, I'll bet they would have had a hat or hood, but now that they are trotting off to middle school, mom's opinions don't count, only looking good counts.
Come on folks, be true to your ears. Let's make hats fashionable again!!

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home