Technicolor Day

Tuesday, December 7

Magnetic Poetry

OK, so I'm in a Secret Santa game at work, and the person I drew like Science Fiction, and specifically, Star Trek. (This is great for me, I'm a Trekker too.) I've got most of the other gifts already purchased, so didn't want to go too pricey on something Star Trek, and I remembered a few years ago when I made some magnetic dress-up paper dolls for someone.
Here's what I did then: the Secret Santa recipiant that year loved the Simpsons, so I found Patty and Selma with clothes online, kind of paper dolls. They were both dressed in just their bullet bras and granny panties, and each had two other outfits, one their regular one, and a fancy-dress one, all complete with accessories. All total pieces were about 5-7 articles of clothing for each plus the figures themselves. I printed the pix, put the printed pieces, cut out very roughly around, onto sticker magnet paper, then cut very close to make the finished pieces.
The gift was a big hit. The first day, I gave her just one of the gals by itself, no clothes. So she thought it was funny, but other people thought it was very strange to give her a magnet of an ugly cartoon character in it's underware. I gave the SS recipient the outfits and other sister, a few at a time each day after that. She loved it. And at the reveal, when I admitted that I'd kinda made it myself, everyone was impressed. Unfortunately, that was so many years ago, I haven't been able to find the site again.
So this year, I thought back to that project, I thought maybe I could make some Star Trek dress-up magnets, but I haven't been able to find anything good. Then I thought of magnetic poetry. I could make some Star Trek magnetic poetry! Just regular magnetic poetry, with some extra words thrown in, like Tribbles, Redshirt, tricorder, and some Klingon words that I'll have to look up. I'm liking this idea, and I know my SS recipient this year has a metal file cabinet in his office that should work great.
Now, here's my two questions for the audience:
1. Is there a site anywhere that lists a bunch of words that are usually used in magnetic poetry? I figured I could find a simple list, but I haven't found one yet.
and B) What extra Star Trek words would you include?

2 comment(s):

Hello,

Loved the idea for the magnet characters. Came in very handy for my 14 yr old daughter. She was looking for an idea for her friends at school, but there were so many freinds that she didn't have the time or money to really come up with any ideas she was happy for that would cover all of them.

Then I mentioned your magnet idea and she was quite inspired. She's going to make locker magnets for her friends from pictures of their favorite things from around the internet.

On your questions, I'm not sure if you still need help or not, but here it is:

On the question of the words---I found a virtual magnet poetry set on the internet that might help there. Go to this link and click on the High School kids kit link:

http://www.memory-alpha.org/en/index.php/Main_Page

On the Star Trek, I got some words from this online Star Trek encyclopedia:

http://www.memory-alpha.org/en/index.php/Main_Page

Roddenberry, Enterprise, Federation, Starship, Boldly Go, Wormhole, Gamma Quadrant, Delta, Voyager, Insurrection, Nemesis, Spock, Kirk, Starfleet, Warf, Academy, Romulan, Chekov, Replicator, Beam, Phaser, Trekker, Transporters, Tuvok, Warp, Shuttlecraft, Borg, Prime Directive, Holodeck, Janeway, Picard, Data, Ferengi, Khan, Bajorans, Dax, Shatner, Sisko, Odo, Cardassian, Jem�Hadar

By Blogger Will, at 4:06 PM  

Thanks Will for your comments!
I'm glad your daughter was able to use my idea, I love being an idea person!
I'm working on the Star Trek Magnetic Poetry this weekend, so I'll let you'all know how it goes.

By Blogger Unknown, at 8:59 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home